Forum:Long Term Plan?
Erm, as you can see from the various illogilutions that I want to improve the site somewhat. The site has surpassed all expectations and has been great fun but when's all said and done there's still more we can do.
We're in a bit of a lull at the moment but with a bit of effort we can reach our former glory. So here are a few suggested improvements to the site I was thinking of. Not as radical this time but see what you make of them:
- Maybe take a slightly tougher line on articles. Delete "spam articles" and maybe use the trash template a little bit more.
Also Encourage people to fix up trashy articles - maybe give them an award or something. This might, in a progressional way, help improve the quality of articles on here as a whole.
- Have more community based awards.
- Hold that one week purge of articles we discussed earlier? We could have a whole new category made for it :P
- Secondly, us admins and anyone else really, we need to get on top of checking/editing/categorizing the recent influx of new articles. Got to keep on top of things you know.
- Put other projects (these) especially the forum and IRC in a place of more prominence. Maybe atop the mainpage? Also I reckon EPIC articles, if recognized as EPICs, should be more encouraged - possibly add it to the project list?
- End the WOTM award. There's no competition because once you've won it then you can't win it again - providing no incentive for users to compete with each other quality-wise because they can just wait their turn when the userbase has been whittled down enough for it to get to them. End it or restore it to it's former glory.
- Use this Big Brotther thing coming up to somehow bring users together and get them to talk to each other more.
- Possibly restrict the way articles are nominated on the VfH. There are too many self-noms around. I was just wondering what you guys thought about it?
There you go, please tell me what you guys think and if possible help me take some kind of action? This is just what i think anyway.--(ballsack) 18:27, 21 Jeremy 2008 (UTC) •
I agree with most of this stuff.
- I don't wanna get really tough on articles but I've had enough of those spam pages. That said, a lot of our contributors started out as spammers (of sorts). I'd advise admin discretion on this.
- Community awards - perhaps. I think SP doesn't really like awards - look at uncyc - too many awards and they have lost their meaning.
- Of course, if we remember. Admin discretion again.
- That's not really a massive problem if we all categorise a few articles every now and then.
- Yeah, I reckon that page should have more prominence. Put in the welcome templates? However I'm not a fan of welcome templates. We've been considering a way to get em on the front page for a bit.
- What about renaming the award to be more general? Illogicopedian of the Month, and change it so you can win it more than once. Hold on, I think you can, but nobody bothers. I'm keen on keeping this. Alternative - Writer/Illogicopedian of the week. Of course, we'll need to update it more often, on a Sunday or something.
- We'll see what happens with Big Brrother. It could be good but I'm not sure what's gonna happen yet. If good - more of them, including 'celebrity' versions where users can make the admins do humiliating tasks!
- I'm not fussed by self noms. If they suck they'll die quickly.
- I don't agree that the awards have lost their meaning. Awards can be hard to earn, and when you rarely or never win one they feel like a huge acomplishment. 03:38, Mar. 4, 2008